Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Summer Heat

Lately with the temperatures rising I have found it harder to get out and exercise. The heat has been very draining.

Today we had our nutrition class (thanks Jessica...you do an awesome job and we all appreciate you). We learned about all the nutrients your body receives when eating certain foods and I found it pretty enlightening. I now look at food in a different way. My life doesn't revolve around eating anymore. It revolves around family, work & exercise.

Tonight after I finished my Zumba class my son wanted to go out to dinner. I try not to eat out because that has been my downfall in the past. I ended up going to Wendy's for a chicken salad (and I'm about to start clucking with all the chicken I have eaten lately). My son on the other hand, went to McDonalds for a 900 calorie 1/3 lb angus burger. I gave him the lecture that one day he will be older (not old) like me and he won't be able to eat like that and not become the good year blimp. Right now he is a little twig so I guess he can do that. As much as I wanted a cheeseburger and fries I am glad at my choice and feel more empowered every time I turn down a "bad option".

There have been so many bonuses to this challenge: I was able to buy some pants that were two sizes smaller, I sleep better, I feel stronger, I am able to cope with stress and life's challenges better, I have more energy, I don't feel like I'm not good enough anymore, I am able to go out and have fun again and I am overall happier. This is something I could really get used to!

Although I still have a long way to go in the battle of the bulge I have hope because I look at how far I have come in just 43 days. It is amazing to see the changes in everyone that is doing this challenge and it has been fun to get to know everyone.

Heidi, my trainer, has been awesome to work with. She really challenges me and is always so positive. I have promised her that I will run in Mike's Mad Dash in August. This will be a stretch for me but I know I can do it. I have to keep reminding myself that although I do not like to run yet...I WILL SOMEDAY.

Thanks to all my friends, family and co-workers for supporting me. This has not been easy, but well worth it.

3 comments:

Sherrie said...

Fitting into smaller pants is a wonderful feeling. It makes all of the sweat and tears worth it. Way to go: )

Unknown said...

Becky Sue, I love hearing about your continued success. You are doing great!! I'm still trying to get over the whole diet Coke thing!! Good job!!

Michelle said...

Way to go!!! So happy for you!